Come to the Lake: An On-Site Art-Making Event
Artists of all disciplines are invited to participate in this 3-day plein air art-making event hosted at Lake Logan by two of North Carolina’s celebrated artists and educators: mixed media artist Norma Hendrix and fine art photographer Barbara Tyroler. Whether one’s medium is painting, drawing, photography, or a fusion of approaches, this is a chance to retreat and make art in community of other artists.
Participants will stay in Lake Logan’s charming cabins and spend the days creating in a landscape replete with natural features including the scenic lake, the lily pond, the Pigeon River, secluded wooded areas, streams and waterfalls.
Artists will work independently in their selected locations and may participate in optional group sessions are offered by Hendrix and Tyroler during the 3 days. Tuesday evening, Lake Logan will host an informal exhibition of the participants’ “on-site” works. The evening will begin with a wine reception for attending artists and Lake Logan’s invited friends and supporters. Artists are encouraged to donate a small work for the silent auction to benefit Lake Logan, a non-profit organization. Guest musicians Eric Hendrix and Friend and Red Nucleus will provide evening entertainment.
Monday, August 9
- Arrive any time after lunch, check-in at office, and set up outside for starting artwork. Lodging will be ready to access by 3pm (possibly earlier). If you would like to arrive earlier, you can bring your lunch. Maps will be given of the campus with suggestions for good locations to work.
- 5pm – Meet and greet followed by dinner (BYOB) at Celebration
- 6 PM – Dinner at Johnson Dining Hall
- After Dinner – Slide talks
“Exploring the origins of Plein Air Painting to Contemporary On-Site Art Making,” Hendrix
“Approaches to Outdoor Photography,” Tyroler
Tuesday, August 10
- 8 AM – Breakfast at Johnson Dining Hall
- 8:45 AM – 9:05 – Optional poetry-based mindfulness session with Norma Hendrix in the Pavilion
- Field trips:
- Barbara Tyroler offers photographic exercises at various locations
- Norma Hendrix offers drawing on location exercises at Sit n’ Whittle Lodge.
- Noon – Lunch at Johnson Dining Hall
- 12:45 PM – Optional Gathering of Artists for sharing work – finished or in progress
- 6 PM – Dinner at Dining Hall
- 7 PM – Reception and Silent Auction with music afterwards by Red Nucleus and Eric Hendrix at Celebration Hall
Wednesday, August 11
- Breakfast – 8am – Breakfast at Johnson Dining Hall
- 8:45 AM – 9:05– Optional Music Inspiration
- Noon – Lunch at Johnson Dining Hall
- After Lunch – Optional Critique sessions with Norma Hendrix or Barbara Tyroler– sign up will be available
About Your Hosts
Norma Hendrix was professor of painting, drawing and art history at Western Carolina University before founding and directing the former Cullowhee Arts. She has created and hosted dozens of artist retreats and workshops, nationally and internationally. She holds an MA and MFA in Studio Arts. normahendrixart.com
Barbara Tyroler brings her experience as a university level educator and professional photographer to blend technical and aesthetic vision. Participants of all levels are encouraged to spend time on reflection and contemplation in a serene and inspirational environment. She holds an M.Ed and an MFA in Imaging and Digital Media. barbaratyroler.com
“Barbara and I know first-hand how inspiring and transformative the beauty and serenity of Lake Logan’s landscape can be in furthering one’s creative work,” says Norma. “Waking in the morning to the ever-changing light on the water is enough to set the mood for the day. It is the perfect environment for creative pursuits.”
Although participants will have the benefit of learning from both hosts, when registering choose the primary host you will work with.
Enable Registration - no